Monday, August 16, 2010

Shouts, Murmurs, Side Eyes

Nobody makes more compelling cultural observations than children. Having spent 8 weeks with 80+ kids every moment of my work day (and actually eating lunch with one arm protectively draped over my food, the little thieves), I say you can keep your Dick Gregory, because nobody keeps it honest or chock full of potentially offensive non-sequiturs like them. Here's some of the choicer samples:

Scene: Two bi-racial children talking to one another quietly about being bi-racial.
Boy: "You know what's weird?"

Girl: "What?"
Boy: "That your mom's black."
Girl: "Wait....why is that weird?"
Boy: "Seriously?"

................................................................
Little boy:"Sam.....Sam....Sam....Sam"
Me: "Yep?"
LB: "Do you want me to teach you how to say 'I love you' in Filipino?"
Me: "Shoot"
LB: "Te amo mucho."
Me: "....um....I'm not sure tha-...ok, cool!"
LB: "Do you wanna learn the word for food?"
Me: "Very much."
LB: "Chicken Adobo"
Me: ".........okay, thanks."

Next day:
LB: "Sam! I got it wrong! The word for 'love' is 'mahal'!"
Me: "Sweet! Thanks for letting me know."
LB: "Do you want to know who mahals you?"
Me: "......you?"
LB: "No! I don't love you!!!!!JEEEEEEEEEESUS! It's Jesus that loves you!"
Me: "My bad."
.............................................................

Scene: Little boy wearing his t-shirt over his face and hiding in a corner.
Me: "What are you doing, man?"
Boy: "Hiding from Nick."
Me: "Why, sweetie?"
Boy: "Because I'm a NINJA!"
Me: "Ok, well that makes sense."
Boy: "And because Nick's Mexican!"
Me: "Wait, back it up. What?"
Boy: "Only Mexicans can detect ninjaaaaaaas!"
Nick (from around the corner): "It's true."
Me: "OK, sounds good."

No comments:

Post a Comment