Friday, May 14, 2010

Hero of the Week

Recently, one of the local high schools has instituted a new punitive homework policy, which basically amounts to a lunchroom detention with a snazzy new acronym: Z.A.P. I don't know what it stands for and we all know it doesn't matter.

So, one of my students, a 10th grader I've known since she was in middle school recently lost her mom after a long illness. Very recently. She's dealing with it, but isn't it hard to ever take high school seriously much less after undergoing something as painful as that? I was talking with her yesterday and she told me how she got into some trouble this week for the following exchange as she was walking to lunch:

Administrator: "Did you do your homework? Don't get ZAPPED!"
Student, scowling: "Oh, go to hell."

Student, I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment